Dr. Mueller is the finest physician I have ever had. I have entrusted my life in his hands for over 15 years and he is the only Doc I would empower to be my medical team leader. His judgment and diagnostic & communication abilities are impeccable, as is his medical advocacy on my behalf. He actually listens, gives me full attention, and truly cares. He is always reachable immediately; I couldn’t be happier in the concierge program, which gives me extra security and confidence and I love the instant priority, no wait appointments, as well as the value, added tests that would not normally be covered.
DOCTOR RICHARD L. MUELLER
Manhattan vein doctor Richard L. Mueller has six board certifications and holds the distinction of diplomate from the American Board of Venous & Lymphatic Medicine. Dr. Mueller is also board-certified in vascular medicine, cardiovascular diseases, and cardiac ultrasound (echocardiography).
With nearly two decades of experience in cardiovascular ultrasound imaging and cardiac catheterization, Dr. Mueller has the perfect combination of skills and expertise for treating vein patients.
Dr. Mueller personally performs all endovenous laser ablations, ClariVein® vein ablations, sclerotherapy treatments and ambulatory phlebectomy treatments. He also personally interprets the initial ultrasound tests to create a specialized plan of care for each new patient.
Since the inaugural edition of the Castle Connolly Guide Book in 1997, Dr. Mueller has been named one of the top doctors in the New York metro area. He has been elected by his peers as one of the best doctors in America, according to the U.S. News & World Report’s annual list.
Dr. Mueller is on staff at New York Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Cornell Medical Center, Lenox Hill Hospital, North Shore LIJ Health System, and St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Medical Center. In addition, he is an assistant professor of Medicine at Weill Cornell College of Medicine.
Presentations and Lectures
Dr. Mueller served as a faculty member for the 2013 New Cardiovascular Horizons 14th Annual Conference in New Orleans, where he lectured on ClariVein® ablation. He was also invited as a faculty member to the 2013 International Congress on Endovascular Interventions in Scottsdale, Arizona, where he lectured on ClariVein® ablation.
Dr. Mueller had six original research abstracts accepted for presentation at the 17th World Congress of the International Union of Phlebology meeting, held for the first time in the U.S. in September 2013. This prestigious meeting is held only once every four years.
Additionally, he presented three original research presentations at the 26th Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Venous Forum in New Orleans in February 2014. He is also a faculty member of the influential patient information website, veinexperts.org, and is an elected member of the American Venous Forum.
Dr. Mueller and his practice are featured as platinum members of the premier Vein Experts National Directory. He has also had the distinction of being invited by the website’s founder, Dr. Ronald Bush, an internationally leading venous disease expert and educator, to write a medical information page on anticoagulation therapy and mechanochemical ablation for the site’s online journal and to serve as a site faculty member.
Other Credentials and Qualifications
Dr. Mueller is a charter member of the American Society of Cardiovascular Phlebologists (ASCVP). He is also listed as a New York City Vein Specialist in the “Rethink Varicose Veins” national program, and in the National Vein Specialist Directory.
As a registered physician in vascular testing interpretation (RPVI) and as a registered vascular technologist (RVT), Dr. Mueller has been credentialed by the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) and by Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI).
His vascular ultrasound laboratory is nationally accredited by the Intersocietal Commission (IAC) for the accreditation of vascular laboratories. Additionally, he is a member of the Society for Vascular Ultrasound (SVU) and a fellow of the American College of Phlebology (ACP). He is one of only approximately 50 physicians worldwide who are so designated and qualified.
Dr. Mueller is board-certified in internal medicine, cardiovascular diseases, clinical lipidology and echocardiography, with a total of six board certifications and diplomates. He is an elected fellow of 12 professional medical societies, including:
- American College of Cardiology
- American College of Physicians
- American Heart Association
- American Society of Echocardiography
- American College of Chest Physicians
- Council on Clinical Cardiology
- Society of Geriatric Cardiology
- American Society of Angiology
- International College of Angiology
Dr. Mueller has published numerous papers in scientific literature, including the first review article on ClariVein® ablation in the Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery.
National and Local Honors
- Named one of the top doctors nationally by U.S. News & World Report’s Top Doctors listing since its inception in 2011
- Named one of the top doctors in the New York metro area, in every edition of U.S. News & World Report since the inaugural edition in 1997
- Named one of the Best Doctors in America since 2009
- Named in the Guide to America’s Top Cardiologists in all editions since 2003
- Awarded the Patients’ Choice Award, as one of America’s Top Physicians, selected by patients since 2010
- Awarded the Patients’ Choice Award, as one of America’s Most Compassionate Physicians, selected by patients since 2011
Medical patients across the country were surveyed regarding their experience and rated their doctors on criteria such as bedside manner, doctor-patient face time, degree of follow-up, and courtesy of office staff. Those with the highest scores were awarded the designation of Patients’ Choice physicians.
Each year, these reviews total hundreds of thousands of patient opinions. While physicians generally receive positive reviews from their patients, only a select few receive uniformly rave reviews across the board. Of these that receive rave reviews, only physicians with near perfect scores have been voted by their patients for this honor.
Of the nation’s 720,000 active physicians, less than 5 percent were awarded this honor in 2008 and less than 6 percent in 2009.
- Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine at Weill College of Medicine, Cornell University (New York)
- On staff at New York Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Cornell Campus, and St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Medical Center
- Brown University (college)
- University of California, San Francisco (medical school)
- North Shore University Hospital (internal medicine internship, residency, and chief residency)
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (internal medicine internship, residency)
- Certified training from laser manufacturers in endovenous laser ablation, sclerotherapy, and ambulatory phlebectomy